Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day Weekend 2023 Part 1

I definitely needed a three-day weekend.  Seven weeks of work had piled up on a new hire’s desk before he was dismissed.  Six people in the department were working on the backlog this week and it all came to me for the finishing.  I’ve been busy.

 

While I’d sort of been looking forward to writing about Memorial Day sports last week, by the time it had gotten here, I was busy writing a fiction story and didn’t want the interruption.  I’d even stopped doing daily drawings to focus on it.  I’d been doing that every day for over two years. 

 

Saturday started off with a productive trip to the mall.  I got a new pair of shoes that I’d needed and on sale.  I picked up a magazine about the Le Mans race, which happens next month.  I’ll hopefully be able to watch and report on it.  I also got dad another Graham Hancock book.  After getting him two of his large books which he’d recently read, I wasn’t sure how he’d react to it.  When I gave it to him the next day, he poured over it in obvious interest.  Cool.

 

Most importantly, I bought a large slice of pizza from a local place.  Before I could eat it, I got a call from Ron.  He was somewhere in Arizona at a truck stop for his new driving job.  He’s enjoying the new career, but he’s busy.  Too bad.  I was hoping we’d be able to get together over this weekend.

 

The first sporting event of the weekend for me was College SoftballABC had on a super regional of the NCAA tournament between Texas and Tennessee.  I found myself mentally tuning out almost immediately.  The broadcast crew consisted of four women.  The woman doing the play-by-play sounded like she was barking orders at the viewers.  The commercials were also all Girl-power and irritating.  I was especially galled seeing my ex, Taylor Swift.  (I’m still waiting for your song about our breakup, Tay!  You write about all your others.) 

 

It was an elimination game for Texas, but Tennessee had all the energy.  The game was close early.  The Lady Vols scored a run in the first using pure hustle and taking advantage of some tight play on the Longhorn’s part.  TN didn’t score again until they put up 2 more in the sixth.  Then TN opened the floodgates in the seventh to win 9-0.  The girls’ singing and dancing routines and celebrations in the dugout were very impressive.  (That is part of the show in College Softball.)

 

Meanwhile on the radio, the Rangers and the Orioles were playing.  I’ve been pleased that I’ve been able to get Ranger games on the radio out of El Paso this season.  They’re carrying the whole broadcast finally, including the pregame.  Ron had also given me a radio last year that picks up signal better.  I’ve also finally acknowledged that the best spot for reception in my apartment is putting the radio on the floor in the hallway between my living room and the bedroom.  It makes no sense, but it’s true. 

 

I say all of this and then the signal completely dropped right before the game.  I decided to check out KROD, and ESPN Radio was just starting a game between the Braves and the Phillies.  I have no idea what their Saturday baseball schedule is.  I was just guessing.  However, I checked back and the Rangers were back on and I decided to mostly listen to that game.

 

At least I think I did.  I didn’t take more than a couple of notes.  Matt Hicks on the broadcast was amazed by a couple of fan catches in the outfield during one inning.  The top of the eighth had a couple of confusing plays on the bases.  I think one runner was called out on an appeal.  Matt tried to explain all the scoring decisions in the bottom, but the inning went so quickly he got cutoff.  The Rangers won 5-3.  The O’s did make a 2-out, ninth inning comeback attempt.  I flipped over to the other game and it just finished with the Phils winning 2-1.

 

In the evening, the D-Backs played the Red Sox on Fox, which Boston won, 2-1.  I admit I wasn’t entirely into it.  The Chihuahuas came on later on Stadium for their Minor League Showcase game.  Tim Hagerty, voice of the Chihuahuas, was well aware of the national audience and went out of his way to explain some of the newer rules in baseball.  He was also selling Southwest University Park in El Paso, which is a showplace.



The pups went down 7-2 in the fifth to the Reno Aces, but scored 4 runs in the bottom and 3 runs in the next inning to take the lead.  They won it 14-8 in front of a great crowd.   They were waiting for fireworks and to see the debut the inflatable mascot, Air Chico.  Preston Tucker went 5 for 5 with 2 home runs in the game.

I was also able to pickup the Rockies playing on the radio against the Mets.  I don’t get a great signal out of KOA Denver, but it was okay tonight.  One of the regular guys announcing was out and a woman replaced him.  The Rox were up 6-1 in the fifth versus Justin Verlander.  The Mets came back and tied it at 6 in the sixth, but the Rockies weren’t done hitting and won it 10-7.

 

I forgot there was hockey on.  The Dallas Stars were trying to stave off elimination by the Vegas Golden Knights in the Western Conference final.  I caught most of the third period at least.  The Stars won it 4-2.  I admit, I haven’t cared much about hockey this season.  A lot of the games I could have watched conflicted with going to Aggie Sports.  Then every other sport that I watch or listen has conflicted with watching.  I figured out that in order to enjoy a hockey game, you have to give it your undivided attention, which I haven’t been able to do.

 

Day 1 of the weekend and I’m already overdoing it with sports.  It was a bit lackluster, except for that Chihuahuas game.  That was fun.  On to Sunday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment