Thursday, August 19, 2021

Sketch Dump: The PO Notebook 7: Marionette Generation and Overwatch

Marionette Generation was a manga by Haruhiko Mikimoto, who is best know as the character designer on Super Dimension Fortress Macross (which became part of Robotech).  I first saw MG in a couple of issues of Newtype in the 80's.  At that time, that anime magazine was only available in Japanese.  I didn't understand what was going in the comic, but it was beautiful.  


Later in the 90's, English translation volumes became available.  The story was very light on plot.  Actually over the four volumes I got, there was no plot.  I didn't get the last volume, which probably tied everything together neatly just to piss me off.  (But more likely, did no such thing.)  The artwork was still beautiful even in a greatly reduced size.  (Newtype is tabloid-sized.) 


I really like this first sketch.  This is Lunch.  I don't know if the name is a poor translation or not.  She's a cute little stuffed doll, but the sketch here is of her imagining herself as a real girl.



The next two are of Kinoko, who's the main female character.  These are nowhere near as good as "HAL's" drawings.  I started off drawing in a manga style, but changed over time.  Now, I'd need more practice to draw like that again.  




This is based on some Overwatch fanart of Pharah and Mercy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment