Thursday, September 3, 2020

Sketches: Anime Characters

I'll be posting some old sketches for a while.  We'll start at the beginning.

I've established I'm a big Robotech fan.  One of my prized possessions is my Robotech Art 1 book.  It not only has a lot of information on the series, but also has a quick overview on Japanese animation which turned me into an anime fan.  The book included character sketches and animation cells, which proved irresistible to me.  I hadn't ever tried drawing before, but had to now.  This was the start of my sketching.

Minmei may have been irritating on the show, but she was really good looking and an obvious favorite of character designer Haruhiku Mikimoto.     




Rook, from later in the series, was also a favorite.


Anime and manga started making fans in the US in the 80's, but finding it was a different story.  I was fortunate in that my comic book store owner had a west coast connection and brought in some Japanese stuff.  Unfortunately, all of this stuff was in Japanese, but I liked the pictures.  I picked up a couple of issues of the Japanese anime magazine Newtype.  This first drawing was from that issue, but I don't know who the character is.


This is Fa from Zeta Gundam.


Here's Nike from Appleseed.


This is a later sketch of Hitomi from a more recent Appleseed movie.


And, this is Shinobu from Patlabor.


I picked up a few anime books.  I don't even remember all the ones I had.  I only kept the Macross: Do You Remember Love? movie books.  One of the ones I had was an Iczer-1 OVA book.  It was pretty cool.  I liked one of the heroines, Nagisa. 



No comments:

Post a Comment