Thursday, September 24, 2020

Sketch Dump: Space Squid

This artwork was so epic, I had to make it a post by itself.  This is Space Squid Meets Skipper and Gilligan in Semi-3D.  Yes, really.  If you had the pages in front of you and had red/blue 3D glasses on . . . umm . . . it would look terrible, but would sort of pop out at you a little (sort of).  I should have thought that out a bit more I ran a pink marker over this.  Because of this defacing, I'll have to type out the text here.


This is the brainchild of myself and my high school friend, Kyle.  It's hard to believe this mature adult masterpiece was the product of two immature teenage boys.  Even more amazing, we did this on a whim one afternoon.  Can you believe that?  It looks like it must have taken months of painstaking work.  We attempted to incorporate a bunch of slang we were using at the time, yet somehow reads as though it were timeless.  Space Squid was a strange idea we had for a comic character.  Regrettably, he has not yet debuted in published form (yet).  Kyle and I shared the scripting and art duties, but it looks and reads completely seamlessly.

     

Page 1 Title Space Squid Meets Skipper and Gilligan

Panel 1 

Space Squid: Intense!  My engine blows big chunks!   

Panel 2

Space Squid: Bookoo!  A planet!  Bitchin!  [Censored text.  Too ahead of its time.]

Panel 3

Space Squid: This is like too active!

Panel 4

Space Squid: Crash and Burn, dude.

Panel 5

Space Squid: Civilization.  Babes and brewskies.  Intense!

Caption: Ginger?

Panel 6

Skipper: Have you gotten those coconuts yet, Little Buddy?

Gilligan: Just a second, Skipper.



Page 2

Panel 1

Gilligan: Skipper, I see smoke.

Skipper: Just hurry up with the coconuts, Gilligan.

Panel 2

Space Squid: Hey dudes!

Gilligan: Here it comes, Skipper.

Panel 3

Skipper: Boink.  Gilligan!

Panel 4

Space Squid: 'K dorks, my ship bricked.  I need some assis-tance.  [You have to say it with dramatic inflection in the middle of the word.]

Skipper: The Professor could probably fix it.  Booong!  [The Skipper takes off Gilligan's hat and hits him with his own hat.]

Panel 5

Caption: After the Professor repairs the ship

Professor: Now that we've repaired your ship, go get help.

The Howells: Is he rich?

Mary-Ann: What kind of haircut is that?

Ginger: What a stud!

Panel 6

Space Squid: Alright, pals.  I'll get some help, but I want the babes and a million bucks!

Panel 7

Caption: After receiving the Howell's money.  Girls' Hut

Girls: Ooh!  Ahh!  What a man!  Ouch!  You're incredible!  Ooh!  Oh, Squid!

Panel 8

Caption: Next morning

Skipper: Hey girls, where's Squid?

Mary-Ann: Afterward, he departed and he made us so tired, we couldn't pursue him.

Gilligan: Not only that, he left too.

Panel 9

Mr. Howell: My money!  My money!


And there you have it.  Sex, humor, pathos, a twist, action, adventure.  It's all there.  I've been sitting on this explosively brilliant concept for far too long.  I'm quitting the blog to develop the script.  If it doesn't work out, I'll come crawling back tomorrow with another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment