Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Sketch Dump: Manga

Pretty much all of this post's drawings were so old I had to redraw the lines so that I could scan them.  I didn't try to fix or "improve" anything.  Mostly I'm annoyed that I used to draw manga-style so much better.  I can't even really draw in that style anymore.  I once showed my sketchbook to my local comic shop owner.  He thought I was a crap artist, except he thought my manga stuff had some promise.  "Psst.  Like manga is ever going to get big in America.  I want to draw more realistically," I thought back in the 80's.  Yeah, I should have stuck with it.        


First up are a couple of old sketches from Marionette Generation from an issue of Newtype from the 80's.  I forgot the character's name and am too lazy to look it up.  


                                         

Here's some female characters from Area 88.  This comic about mercenary fighter pilots doesn't usually feature much in the way of women characters.  I forgot who Velvet was, but she did have two pet panthers.  Kyko was the main character's faithful, but abandoned fiancĂ©.  


Here's Chun Li from Street Fighter in two different presentations.  The top was a realistic-ish version and the bottom was the manga version.


This is a montage page.  I shouldn't bother doing these, but sometimes you just want to make a little sketch.  Top left is Yoko from Xenon.  Bottom left is maybe Dawnstar from the Legion of Superheroes.  The other three are Death from DC comics.  Like every other comics fan in the early 90's, I was enraptured by the cute perky little goth girl.     


This is another sketch from a comic in an 80's issue of Newtype.  I have no idea what the comic was since it was all in Japanese.
  

She looks so familiar, but I don't know who this.  She's some kind of 80's singer from either a manga or an anime.


This is Mai the Psychic Girl.  I remember the scene in question.  She'd just lost her top and was pulling it up.  I get embarrassed drawing boobs, so I did this instead of showing her topless.


The girl on the left is an idol singer, who's picture was in Newtype.  They ran features on idol singers in the 80's.  I presume they still do.  On the right is Sonoko.  She was the protagonist's near girlfriend from Xenon.  I did the inking of the drawing at the time.  
  

Another montage.  That's Sonoko again on the top right.  (She was soooo cute.)  That's Yoko on the bottom left.  She was interested in the protagonist too, but never stood a chance with Sonoko as competition.  That's Death again on the bottom left.  The other two are unknown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment