Monday, September 14, 2020

Sketches: Comic Books Characters 1

Here's a few old comic book sketches.  The first, at least, I can positively identify.  The Goblin Queen was one of my favorite villains.  I don't know what she's doing now though.  (She has a rather tortured history.)  This was from a Jim Lee drawing from the 80's.


Now we're venturing into the unknown.  I'm sure this was from European graphic novel.  I have no idea what.



Was this a Roxy (Freefall) from Gen 13?  I don't know for sure.  She's pretty cute.
  

We're back on track.  Here's Arwyn from Sojourn in the next two sketches.  I know artist, Greg Land, got a bunch of criticism for possibly tracing photo references and stealing art.  That said, one beat-up trade paperback of Sojourn bought on clearance has inspired some of my best artwork.  I'd like to find some more volumes.  Right now, with DC not publishing anything and Marvel only publishing crap, I'm kind of wishing Crossgen was still around.       



Here's an Alex Raymond sketch from his classic Flash Gordon strip.  The guy was a master.  I did a bunch of sketches from a couple of hardback reprints.  I got those books and Sojourn at Hastings.  And there's something else I'm missing.  I bought a huge number of comics there when they went out of business.  I ended up getting rid of nearly all of them.  That's what I get for buying comics from the 2000's.  I can only regret all of the better trades that I didn't buy there before they disappeared.  I'll scan in some more Flash Gordon stuff at some point.      

No comments:

Post a Comment